The Washington Capitals Pond Hockey Challenge is the first-ever pond hockey style tournament hosted at Kettler Capitals Iceplex. Create a team with your friends and play for a chance to win a paid entry into the USA Hockey National Pond Hockey Championship tournament in Eagle River, Wisconsin. Winning teams will represent the Capitals with a custom Capitals jersey for each player!
Watch the video below to learn more about pond hockey and the USA Hockey National Championships.
Tournament is filling up fast. Sign up today!
There are three age divisions (listed below) with each division having a total of eight teams. The roster requirements for the tournament are a maximum of seven players (minimum of four players). Cost for a roster of seven players is $125 per player ($875 per team).
- Games will take place in the evenings Wednesday, August, 17 through Saturday, August, 20.
- This tournament is a 4 on 4 round-robin event.
- There are NO goalies in this tournament. Games are played with pond hockey nets (mini nets)
- Each team will play three round-robin games within their division.
- All games are 30 minutes in length consisting of two 15-minute run time halves with a two-minute warm-up before each game.
- Round robin games that end in a tie will result in a three-minute run time overtime period. The team that scores the most goals during that period wins. If still tied, there will be an additional sudden-death overtime where the first team to score wins.
Silver 21 and Older - Team is comprised primarily of advanced level players 21 years of age and older. Players may have Junior A, B, C, Non-Varsity College (ACHA), Midget major, Prep or Varsity High School playing experience. Teams may be comparable to traditional high "B" or low "A" level adult house league teams.
Bronze 30 and Older - Team is comprised primarily of less experienced adult players 30 years of age and older. A few players may have up to high school playing experience, but most of the team has limited youth playing experience or several years playing as an adult. These teams may be comparable to traditional "C" level adult house league teams.
40 and Older Tier II - Intended for novice to intermediate skill level teams comprised of players 40 years of age and older. Although some players may have high school playing experience or equivalent, the majority of the team consists of participants with minimal playing experience.
Paid spot in the 7th Annual Labatt Blue USA Hockey Pond Hockey National Championship taking place February 10-12, 2012 in Eagle River, Wisconsin. The Washington Capitals will pay the entry fee for each team ($420 value) as well as provide Capitals branded jerseys to each team member
To register your team email email@example.com with the subject line: Capitals Pond Hockey Registration (copy and paste in subject line). Registration is on a first-come first-serve basis. Time entered will be determined by the time stamp on the email. Cost for the tournament is $875 per team.